The Varkey Foundation
GEMS Cambridge International School – Nairobi is part of GEMS Education, a global network of awarding winning GEMS schools, comprised of more than 250,000 students from over 150 nations, studying in 14 countries around the world. GEMS Education is fortunate enough to be able to offer places at some of the very best international schools in the world to students across the globe. Unfortunately, some children aren’t as lucky when it comes to accessing quality education. Helping them is an important aspect of the GEMS philosophy and reflects the GEMS educational values.
“We believe that by engaging with these projects, our students develop a better understanding of global development issues and the impact they can have in our world.”
Our school community is proud to support the Varkey Foundation, our chosen charitable partner. The not-for-profit campaigner for change has committed to the following projects:
- Training teachers to adopt a more student-centric approach in Uganda
- Supporting the professional development of teachers in Palestine
- Building the capacity of teachers in Kenya and Lesotho to teach science, technology and mathematics to girls and women
- Educating students in Ghana via the country’s first interactive distance-learning project
- Rebuilding a school in the Kenyan slum of Kibera
- Providing clean water and toilets in 25 schools in Tanzania with Dubai Cares and Oxfam
- Establishing ten low cost science centres in India with Pratham
- Rebuilding ten schools in Pakistan that were destroyed by floods with Dubai Cares and Oxfam
- Providing schools meals to improve access to education in India
- Supporting the UNICEF Schools for Asia programme in Philippines, Papua New Guinea, India, Nepal and Vietnam
We believe that by engaging with these projects, our students develop a better understanding of global development issues and the impact they can have in our world.
Our aspiration is that, for every child enrolled at a GEMS school, we impact the lives of 100 underprivileged children in our world.