Taking An Active Role
We know that as a parent, you want to take an active role in your child’s education, which is why at GEMS, we actively encourage parental participation through our pioneering parental engagement strategy.
Research has shown that the single biggest reason a child does well at school is the support of parents who take a real, active and consistent interest in their child’s education at home.
How do you do this? It all starts with conversation. Every parent, regardless of their culture, language or experience, can talk to their child and show an interest in their learning. By asking questions, listening and encouraging you child with praise and direction, you can reinforce learning and become an active partner in the educational process.
“Research has shown that the single biggest reason a child does well at school is the support of parents who take a real, active and consistent interest in their child’s education at home.”
As a parent, it’s only natural that you’ll want to take an active role in your child’s education. At GEMS, we actively encourage parents to engage with their child’s learning and are leading the way by becoming the first school to introduce a parental engagement strategy into all our schools.
What does the research say?
Research has shown that the single biggest reason a child does well at school is the support of parents who take a real, active and consistent interest in their child’s education at home. The research suggests that a parent who is actively and consistently engaged in their child’s learning can add the equivalent of two to three years of additional education over their school career. This is precisely why we’re so keen to promote the importance of parental engagement.
Every parent has something to offer
Conversation is at the heart of positive parental engagement. It’s not necessarily about sitting with your child and helping them with their homework. Every parent, regardless of their culture, language or experience, can talk to their child and show an interest in their learning. By asking questions, listening and encouraging you child with praise and direction, you can reinforce learning and become an active partner in the educational process. It can be as easy as 3-a-day.
GEMS Parental Engagement Programme
We believe passionately in helping all of our students reach their full potential, which is why we have introduced the GEMS Parental Engagement Programme into all of our schools. This provides opportunities for parents to engage with their child’s learning and develop a better understanding of engagement strategies and their child’s learning needs.
GEMS Cambridge International School, Nairobi has developed its own engagement programme to suit the particular needs of their local community. However, certain basics are expected from every GEMS school. This includes:
- Recognising the central role of parents in the teaching and learning and process;
- Informing parents of student study programmes in advance so they can offer support where necessary;
- Providing the tools, resources and guidance parents need to support their child’s learning;
- Receiving a minimum amount of face-to-face contact with teachers during the school year;
- The creation of a parents’ association to help the school spread best practices to all parents.
Our 3-a-day Parental Engagement approach
International research highlights the role Parental engagement plays in student achievement. As part of our ongoing drive to encourage and support parental involvement in all GEMS schools, we have produced the 3-a-day mobile app. This app feeds busy parents with learning-focused ideas they can enjoy with their children.
The app is based on simple, actionable advice from our teachers and counsellors, and is arranged into three categories: something to talk about; an activity to share; and guidance to encourage children.
Refer a Friend
As a GEMS Cambridge International School, Nairobi parent, we know you share our vision of providing the highest quality, value-based education to every child. Do you know a friend who would like their children to experience the same opportunities?
We’re offering you a special thank you for every friend who joins your school through an introduction.
Our way of saying thank you
For each new student that is successfully enrolled in any GEMS school, we’ll give you a 10% discount on your youngest child’s annual tuition fees. Alternatively, if you prefer, we can donate the same amount to The Varkey Foundation. Your donation will be used to improve the standards of education for under privileged children in ways such as building classrooms, providing uniforms and training teachers.
Ready to share?
- Step 1: Tell your friend about GEMS Cambridge International School
- Step 2: Give us your friend’s contact details. We’d be happy to call them for an introduction
- Step 3: Your friend and their child comes to visit the school. Make sure they mention your name
- Step 4: Enjoy your thank you once your friend’s child has successfully enrolled and settled
Terms and conditions
- You must be a parent with your child or children already enrolled in a GEMS participating school. A list of the participating schools can be found on our website
- Referrals are only accepted via your School Registrar.
- You can only refer first time GEMS families. This means that your referred friend cannot have older children already in a GEMS school and cannot be transferring from another school in the GEMS network.
- You will receive your thank you reward after: a) your friend’s child is successfully enrolled; and b) they have made a cleared payment for their first term tuition fees; and c) their child has attended the school for at least two weeks (or at least one month depending on the school they have enrolled in).
- Unfortunately you cannot transfer your discount or donation thank you to anyone else.
- Your friend’s successful enrollment will always be subject to the respective GEMS school admission and assessment policies and procedures.
- In the event that your friend is referred by you and also by another GEMS parent, we will send the thank you to the person who made the first referral.
- We would be delighted if you wished to refer more friends. We will thank you with a one time discount or donation (whichever you chose) for each child successfully enrolled in a GEMS school.
- The referred children can be from the same family.